[Neuroimaging] Journal articles based on PRs

Yaroslav Halchenko lists at onerussian.com
Mon Apr 18 10:36:00 EDT 2016

On Tue, 12 Apr 2016, Chris Filo Gorgolewski wrote:
>    - There is one publication which makes citing easy (compare to
>    Freesurfer https://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/fswiki/FreeSurferMethodsCitation,
>    also consider that some journals limit the number of references)
>    - There is no overhead of writing, submitting, and revising a manuscript
>    on top of developing and revising code

brief follow-up.  IMHO Zenodo solution is indeed great and I hope
to do the same later on for our projects.  BUT I still think that
ideally we should support "FreeSurfer"'s approach for citing relevant
methods papers for specific algorithms/implementations.  That is why I
would strongly encourage you to look/join our slowly moving
http://duecredit.org effort.

As for the number of references, I hope that such archaic demands would
be relaxed soon(ish) and there are ongoing efforts:
https://twitter.com/figgyjam/status/721755759449493505

>    There is, however, one big drawback - there is only one first and one
>    senior author on the Zenodo handle. I think this calls for a hybrid
>    solution: an always up to date Zenodo entry combined with individual
>    papers written by developers who feel they need such publication and are
>    willing to put the extra effort of writing the manuscript. I would stay
>    away from making a "deal" or explicitly recommending one particular
>    commercial publisher.

BTW -- have you looked into some Zenodo API to be able to modify the
record automagically?  then may be for each release the order of authors
could be generated automagically e.g. by sorting according to some
metric since previous release (as bad as # of commits and/or lines
of code touched), followed by the rest of the authors in the order as in
the previous release.   So the order would then be quite dynamic... may
be the last X contributors (seniors) could be selected from those based
on overall (not just between releases) value of the metric, also
joggling/looping through the releases.

not an ideal, but imho viable way... what do you think?

--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko
Center for Open Neuroscience     http://centerforopenneuroscience.org