[Neuroimaging] Journal articles based on PRs

vanessa sochat vsochat at stanford.edu
Tue Apr 26 01:58:44 EDT 2016

However, I do like the idea of an alternative to peer reviewed publication
to get attention for something like a small piece of quasi finished
software. There are already options for this - namely "git push origin
master" or spending a few hours to write a blog post, and the missing
component is hooking those things into an organized feed to be viewed by
the appropriate folks to give feedback (e.g., something like 1
<http://www.r-bloggers.com>,2 <http://www.statsblogs.com/>,3
<https://twitter.com/Neuro_Skeptic>). Maybe this "JOSS" is something akin
to that, however it seems like a mistake to advertise as a journal, because
it's just not. I think advertising as "something else" would be desired,
and the challenge is making that something else appealing to researchers to
offer quick, high volume (likely harsh but useful) feedback. Given our
current incentives and culture, methinks it would be named something like
"The Scoop Shoot." :)

On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 10:27 PM, Gael Varoquaux <
gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 11:33:15PM +0000, Stéfan van der Walt wrote:
> > I would like to hear what others think of this journal (tl;dr: it takes
> about
> > 1-3 hrs to prepare a paper for publication in their peer-reviewed
> journal).
>
> 1-3 hrs to prepare a paper! Is that a good thing? It takes me more than 3
> hours to peer review a publications. It takes me at least an hour to read
> one. Don't we already have too many publications of low quality?

Vanessa Villamia Sochat
Stanford University
(603) 321-0676