[Neuroimaging] Nibabel release imminent

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 21:35:57 EDT 2016

On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 2:35 PM, Yaroslav Halchenko
<lists at onerussian.com> wrote:

> I would really appreciate feedback on my "selfish" idea:
> https://github.com/nipy/nibabel/pull/466

I'd like feedback too.

In summary - at the moment, if you ask nibabel to write to a filename,
that is symlink, it will write to the file pointed to by the symlink.

Yarik would like nibabel to overwrite the symlink file, with the written image.

Imagine 'afile.nii' is a symlink, pointing to a file 'somefile'.
Current behavior with `nib.save(img, 'afile.nii') will be to write to
`somefile`, leaving the symlink intact.   New behavior would be to
replace the symlink `afile.nii` with the written image (and therefore,
to orphan `somefile`.

This seems like a pretty radical change to me - what do others think?

Cheers,

Matthew