[Neuroimaging] Using Python libs from MATLAB

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Mon Jun 13 13:45:47 EDT 2016

On Jun 13, 2016 7:58 AM, "Marmaduke Woodman" <marmaduke.woodman at univ-amu.fr>
wrote:

[...]
> - Anything touching HDF5 must use exactly the same version as MATLAB or
segfault
> - Scipy.io.{save,load}mat segfault
> - C++ extension modules whose exception model doesn't match MATLAB's,
segfault on exception
> - Linalg segfault unless using MKL (which is what MATLAB uses)

What operating systems have you tested these on? These segfaults sound like
they have to do with MATLAB making sub-optimal choices in how they handle
shared libraries, but the shared library systems on Windows / OS X / Linux
are so different that there's a good chance these limitations are operating
system specific. (In particular I wouldn't be surprised if you found that
all of the above issues happened only on Linux, but not windows or os X.
The Linux linker is powerful and does make sense once you get to know it,
but it also makes it very very easy to screw things up.)

-n