[Neuroimaging] noise estimation in non diffusion datasets

Samuel St-Jean stjeansam at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 07:33:31 EDT 2017

I unfortunately don't think it would work here, since you need to have a
good idea of what to linear model stuff against (such as huge signal drop
in dwi due to vibration or the fmri hrf function) it seems. It's also that
linear modeling will shove in the error term anything not fitting correctly
your model, which will include a tons more source of error than say
(thermal) noise arising from error in your raw magnitude measurements.
Simple linear models (without the generalised part) like I planned to use
also assume normally distributed residuals, so it would likely overestimate
stuff with magnitude data.

It's also that I actually want to use a linear model to predict my data,
and I was planning to use the noise estimation part as part of a
regulariser while finding the coefficients for the equations, so it would
lead to a kind of circular problem in my case here.

Well anyway, if you have (or, well, anyone also reading this) a suggestion
of model approach to use on non fmri data (I have no idea if it even exist,
as plain structural something-weighted mri data might not follow any
special experimental model), it could also give me ideas, I was just going
for a plain good old matrix of random image patches as usual so far.