[Neuroimaging] JSON-LD and DICOM?

Chris Gorgolewski krzysztof.gorgolewski at gmail.com
Tue Jul 4 12:00:14 EDT 2017

On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 3:58 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I think that is partly because of the relative opacity of the
> extension formats.  Even a small binary format needs some software in
> your language to unpack it in a reliable way.  Because it takes this
> work to look at the information, people often don't bother to check if
> the information is what they want, and just throw it away.  That's the
> big advantage of text files and text formats - they can just open the
> file in text editor to have a look if the information is useful.

This point of view is was also brought up when discussing storing metadata
in a sidecar file vs. the header in context of BIDS. With a plain text file
the barriers to viewing and editing metadata are lower (there are more
editors that can do it), but having linked files means that you cannot copy
them individually. Would love to hear more opinions on the topic.

Best,
Chris