[Neuroimaging] JSON-LD and DICOM?

Christopher Markiewicz effigies at bu.edu
Fri Jun 30 12:18:19 EDT 2017

Andrey,

The ascription of metadata as "belonging to DICOM" seems restrictive to no
particular purpose but to promote the adoption of the DICOM format. Given
that people *do* convert DICOM to NIfTI, and want to keep the metadata
around, is there a technical reason that DICOM attributes shouldn't be used?

To be clear, I have nothing against DICOM, but the *vast* majority of data
I see is NIfTI, and NIfTI is probably the most consistently supported
format in the software packages I've seen. And preserving metadata through
analysis steps is a problem. Storing DICOM attributes in the NIfTI header
seems like a reasonable way to both preserve metadata in-band and avoid
inventing a new ontology that then needs to have a mapping to DICOM's.

As an aside, the aim of dcmqi seems to be to encourage people to convert
their results to DICOM, and a feature that allows DICOM attributes to be
maintained during analyses that expect data in NIfTI strikes me as, if
anything, supportive of that goal.

Chris