[Neuroimaging] New to coding, looking for ways to practice and improve

Kirstie Whitaker kw401 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Nov 13 04:00:44 EST 2017

Hi Juan,

I think your best bet is to join the Brainhack slack group:
https://brainhack-slack-invite.herokuapp.com.

You can find out more about Brainhack here: http://www.brainhack.org/ but
in brief we're a community of neuroimagers who want to improve the state of
the science by building new open tools that can be used and improved by
others :)

The different channels in the slack team are different projects, many of
which are written in python. I'd recommend writing a little introduction in
the general channel (like your intro here) and asking if there are any
projects currently looking for contributors.

Have fun!
Kirstie

On 12 November 2017 at 14:30, Juan Jesús Torre Tresols <
juanjesustorre at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, members of the Python neuroimaging community.
>
> I'm a graduate student of neuropsychology/neuroscience with experience in
> magnetoencephalography (MEG) data collection and analysis.
>
> As I'm currently unemployed and looking for a PhD vacancy related to
> neuroimaging, I started to learn Python in order to improve my curriculum.
> Now that I have finished learning the basics of the language, I started
> looking for applications or projects to further develop my programming
> skills.
>
> I would like to ask you for guidance, since I'm new to programming and I
> don't really know what can I do or cannot do with Python, or what type of
> personal goals I can set for myself in order to continue learning. I really
> enjoyed learning Python, and I would like to put it to use in something
> related to neuroimaging.
>
> Thank you very much for your time,
>
> Juan Jesús Torre Tresols

> de virus. www.avast.com
> <#m_5529805611569612612_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Kirstie Whitaker, PhD

Research Fellow, Alan Turing Institute
Research Associate, University of Cambridge

*Mailing Address*
Brain Mapping Unit
Department of Psychiatry
Sir William Hardy Building