[Neuroimaging] Announcing Nibabel 2.5.0

Christopher Markiewicz markiewicz at stanford.edu
Sun Aug 4 09:30:58 EDT 2019

Hi all,

Nibabel 2.5.0 is out, and with it, we'll be beginning our transition away from Python 2. The 2.5.x series will have extended bug-fix-only support for Python 2.7 (and probably 3.4, in passing) through the end of 2020, while Nibabel 3+ will require Python 3.5+.

This release also sees a number of API changes that have been threatened in FutureWarnings and DeprecationWarnings for a while, so if you've been ignoring them, expect some minor breakage, and hopefully some other warnings will be getting louder. Nibabel 3 will be seeing the first round of significant removals, so there will be a 1-month minimum release candidate period there.

The most interesting new feature is to_bytes/from_bytes methods for some single-image formats, which should make passing images around networked applications much less fiddly.

Moving forward, I'm strongly considering replacing the current versioning scheme with Versioneer<https://github.com/warner/python-versioneer>, which will basically normalize the non-release versions to PEP-440 compatible version strings and drop our custom githash code. I recently wrote my overall strategy up as a gist<https://gist.github.com/effigies/c9f4194034ee218bab1668bfd7851cfc>. If you have concerns with this move, please email me or open an issue (or wait on the PR).

The full changelog follows.

----

2.5.0 (Sunday 4 August 2019)
============================

The 2.5.x series is the last with support for either Python 2 or Python 3.4.
Extended support for this series 2.5 will last through December 2020.

Thanks for the test ECAT file and fix provided by Andrew Crabb.

Enhancements
------------
* Add SerializableImage class with to/from_bytes methods (pr/644) (CM,
  reviewed by MB)
* Check CIFTI-2 data shape matches shape described by header (pr/774)
  (Michiel Cottaar, reviewed by CM)

Bug fixes
---------
* Handle stricter numpy casting rules in tests (pr/768) (CM)
  reviewed by PM)
* TRK header fields flipped in files written on big-endian systems
  (pr/782) (CM, reviewed by YOH, MB)
* Load multiframe ECAT images with Python 3 (CM and Andrew Crabb)

Maintenance
-----------
* Fix CodeCov paths on Appveyor for more accurate coverage (pr/769) (CM)
* Move to setuptools and reduce use ``nisext`` functions (pr/764) (CM,
  reviewed by YOH)
* Better handle test setup/teardown (pr/785) (CM, reviewed by YOH)

API changes and deprecations
* Effect threatened warnings and set some deprecation timelines (pr/755) (CM)
  * Trackvis methods now default to v2 formats
  * ``nibabel.trackvis`` scheduled for removal in nibabel 4.0
  * ``nibabel.minc`` and ``nibabel.MincImage`` will be removed in nibabel 3.0

--

Chris Markiewicz

Center for Reproducible Neuroscience

Stanford University