[Neuroimaging] CZI grant - what would you like to see in Nibabel?

Samuel St-Jean stjeansam at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 08:27:18 EDT 2020

Even before talking multimodality, it would be useful to have something
multi MRI weighting. As of now you have the bval/bvec for diffusion you
need to carry around, if you are a bit fancy you have the gradient
timings an other things, and if you use non spin-echo stuff you also
need to carry around another layer of information. Other stuff like fmri
seems to also carry around relevant info, and you can add to the game
relaxometry experiments (I'd guess inversion time, flip angle and other
things for T1 mapping for example), and if you play with more advanced
diffusion sequences you have new data structures you need to know.

That's a lot of side files that can go around beyond your everyday
nifti. And pretty much every tool uses his own internal format to keep
track of all that because of this (on top of my mind there is .mif for
mrtrix, exploredti stash everything in a matlab file after conversion,
there is also an .xps format also for advanced diffusion with is using
matlab, probably others).  I personally started stashing everything in a
json file for convenience, but having a flexible, throw everything in it
file would definitely be useful, and could potentially be used by other
software, making mixing tools far easier if everything was read from a
central file, just as now it is easy to go around with a nifti, bval and
bvec files.

So I'd vote for something similar, say based on json because it is
somewhat readable and standard, which would record relevant experimental
info (similar to what dcm2niix does I'd guess, but with only the
necessary info). It would also make it easy to add new stuff in it over
time. I have a rough and barebone xps to json converter I made somewhere
if it can serve and an example of what I mean.

Samuel