[Neuroimaging] ANN: openneuro-py, a new app for downloading OpenNeuro datasets

Richard Höchenberger richard.hoechenberger at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 14:52:01 EST 2020

Hello Chris,

On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 6:48 PM Christopher Markiewicz <
markiewicz at stanford.edu> wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> Yarik beat me to most of this, but to address this issue:
>
> > *   the sync between OpenNeuro and GitHub doesn't seem to work reliably,
> so we were having trouble retrieving the latest revisions of datasets using
> datalad
>
> This is definitely a work in progress, but a lot of effort has gone into
> resolving the synchronization issues, and the situation is improving
> rapidly. If you do find cases where the website/S3/GitHub are out of sync
> with each other, could you check the issues linked in
> https://github.com/OpenNeuroOrg/openneuro/issues/1895 and make sure we
> know about it and can track it?

Yes, absolutely. I've been in touch using the OpenNeuro support ticket
system for a number of different up- and download issues in the past (not
just data sync related), and I'm currently assembling a list of issues for
the next support request ;) I will definitely report problems so they can
get fixed upstream.

 OpenNeuro has made no commitment to maintain a stable web API; while
> there's not going to be breakage for its own sake, you do have a potential
> moving target as the needs of the platform change

While that may be true, the thing is that openneuro-py is avaiable and
easy-to-use _now_, while it's not even clear whether or when the OpenNeuro
API will change or go away :) (and take the openneuro-cli JS app with it..
would be a bummer!)

Best wishes,

    Richard