[Neuroimaging] Planning for data formats - upcoming journal club

Satrajit Ghosh satra at mit.edu
Tue Nov 9 09:32:24 EST 2021

hi,

i can help provide a data archiving, metadata, and cloud/hpc access
perspective. we are using hdf5 quite a bit both through nwb and otherwise
at present, and are also using zarr, a cloud native format. i would not
write off hdf5 and instead ask which use cases in what physical
environments would run you into trouble.

while interested in attending, i would suggest scheduling without me, and
will join if i can or comment on a doc as necessary.

cheers,

satra

On Tue, Nov 9, 2021 at 9:16 AM JB Poline <jbpoline at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Another thing that could be useful would be to have a look at the NWB
> folks experience - they have gone through quite a few pain points - we ask
> one of the developer to give a little talk / summary of their experience
>
> I'd be interested as well
> Cheers
> JB
>
> On Tue, Nov 9, 2021 at 8:48 AM Anderson M. Winkler <
> andersonwinkler at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Matthew, hi all,
>>
>> I put some thinking on this a few years ago and concluded that HDF5 would
>> be ideal. The blog post you link was already up and I didn't feel deterred
>> by it, despite the interesting insights.
>>
>> At the time I put online a document for discussion (
>> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1s5DX4YPS680mc3Rb9msLetrjlPcDhaw835Um-jJb-Dw/edit?usp=sharing)
>> and as a starting point, made a mapping to how we'd store NIFTI as HDF5 (
>> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hL27J2wNqHj27aX3VrCY8ajHyIBYtgYVmNmSoZZC8aA/edit?usp=sharing
>> ).
>>
>> At the end, I had to focus on other things, including career (and
>> country) moves, and couldn't spend time and effort on this, despite the
>> fact that the needs from then continue very much the same as today (if not
>> perhaps even more needed now than then...).
>>
>> I'd be happy to participate in any effort you or others may lead towards
>> this.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Anderson
>>

>> On Tue, Nov 9, 2021 at 8:24 AM KEVEEN RODRIGUEZ ZAPATA <
>> keveen.rodriguez at udea.edu.co> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello, thanks for the initiative Matthew, I would like to be part of the
>>> schedule.

>>> --
>>>
>>> Keveen Rodríguez Zapata
>>> B.Eng. Bioengineer
>>> Msc. Student in Biomedical Sciences: Neuroscience and Bsc. Computer
>>> Science