[New-bugs-announce] [issue4693] Idle for Python 3.0 is default even without doing make fullinstall
report at bugs.python.org
Thu Dec 18 16:52:39 CET 2008
New submission from Senthil <orsenthil at gmail.com>:
I am not sure, if this is intentional. But if you look at Python 3k and
changing mode of /usr/local/bin/pydoc to 755
changing mode of /usr/local/bin/idle to 755
changing mode of /usr/local/bin/2to3 to 755
changing mode of /usr/local/bin/smtpd.py to 755
* Note: not installed as 'python'.
* Use 'make fullinstall' to install as 'python'.
* However, 'make fullinstall' is discouraged,
* as it will clobber your Python 2.x installation.
ors at goofy:~/python/py3k$
pydoc, idle, 2to3 and smtp.py by default are Py3k's.
Where as python is Py2.x's.
Do you see the difference when one wants to try out python prompt.
- If he types python in the console, he would be greeted by 2.x
- If he types idle, he would be greeted by 3k.
pydoc may cause similar confusion too.
2to3 is okay because it is to be used by 3k,
Not sure about smtp.py
Do you agree this as an issue and if so, how do we address it?
- label idle as idle3.0 and pydoc as pydoc3.0 and make it default with
make fullinstall ?
title: Idle for Python 3.0 is default even without doing make fullinstall
versions: Python 3.1
Python tracker <report at bugs.python.org>
More information about the New-bugs-announce