[Numpy-discussion] multiprocessor machine

Scott M. Ransom ransom at cfa.harvard.edu
Fri Apr 14 12:53:38 EDT 2000

Konrad Hinsen wrote:

> NumPy uses only one processor, and I am not even sure I'd want to
> change that. I use biprocessor machines as well and I have adapted my
> time-critical code to them (parallelization via threading), but
> the parallelization is almost always at a higher level than
> NumPy operations. In other words, I give one NumPy operation to each
> processor rather than have both work on the same NumPy operation.

I do the same thing.  And I agree about not wanting it the other way
(although an option for this might be nice...)

> I'd prefer to build a parallelizing general-purpose library on top
> of NumPy, ideally supporting message passing as well. Would anyone
> else be interested in this? I have a nicely packaged MPI support
> module for Python (to be released next week in a new version of
> ScientificPython), so that part is already done.

I am certainly interested.  In fact, I have also written a MPI support
module.  Maybe when I see yours I will be able to add some stuff...I'm
making the assumption that yours is probably more flexible than mine...

> Which reminds me: there once was a parallelization project mailing
> list on the old Starship, which disappeared during the move due to a
> minor accident. Is there interest to revive it? I now have a
> cluster of 20 biprocessors to feed, and I'd like to provide it with
> only the best: Python code ;-)

Once again, I'm in...

Scott

--
Scott M. Ransom                   Address:  Harvard-Smithsonian CfA
Phone:  (617) 495-4142                      60 Garden St.  MS 10