[Numpy-discussion] numpy on NT

David Ascher DavidA at ActiveState.com
Thu Mar 2 14:55:15 EST 2000

> A colleague is attempting to install numpy on an NT machine.  How is
> this done?  I tried to help, but the install procedure is apparently
> different from what I am accustomed on Unix.
>
> It appears that the python-numpy-15.2.zip is a precompiled
> distribution ready for dumping into some directory.  Since it doesn't
> contain a setup.py, I presume that Distutils isn't necessary.

Indeed.  You can just unzip it straight in to your main Python directory
(typically C:\Program Files\Python).

> Also, what is the accepted way of setting PYTHONPATH on NT?

Go to the control panel, click on the System icon, pick the Environment tab,
and add an entry (usually in the USER section) for PYTHONPATH.

But you only need to do so if you don't want to install NumPy in the main
Python directory.

--david