[Python-Dev] RE: [Numpy-discussion] RE: Possible bug (was Re: numpy, overflow, inf, ieee, and rich comparison)

hinsen at dirac.cnrs-orleans.fr hinsen at dirac.cnrs-orleans.fr
Thu Oct 12 13:24:18 EDT 2000

>  The idea that your calculation should blow up and you should
> check it and resubmit your job sounds just so ancient-20th-century-
> Fortran-JCL-and-punched-cards-technology!

Long-running jobs are still with us, even there's neither Fortran nor
JCL in them. And for these applications, stopping is better than going
on with nonsense values. On the other hand, as you point out, exceptions
for math errors are a bit of a pain for interactive work.

So how about making this a run-time option? I'd choose exceptions by
default and Infs and Nans by specifying a command-line option, but
there are certainly others who would prefer it the other way round.
What matters most to me is that the choice is possible somehow.

Konrad.
Konrad Hinsen                            | E-Mail: hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr