[Numpy-discussion] PyArray_Check problem.

Konrad Hinsen hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr
Thu Oct 19 13:25:24 EDT 2000

> fault and core dump. Frankly it's still mysterious, but at the moment
> the problem seems to be that I have passed in a list of tuples, rather
> than a list of PyArrayObjects. I don't expect this to work, but when I
> put a :
>
> site = PyList_GetItem(spam_list, index);
>
> if (! PyArray_Check(spam)) result = 0;
                      ^^^^

Not "site"?

> I shouldn't get a crash!! (and it does crash at this line, as near as I
> can tell)

If spam is NULL, then the check will crash. If it is anything but a pointer
to a Python object, there's a good chance that it might crash.
PyArray_Check just tells you if a given Python object is of type "array".

A look at the value of "spam" with a debugger should tell you what's
going on.

> which goes away if I typecast it:
>
> spam =  (PyArrayObject *) PyList_GetItem(spam_list, index);
>
> Should I be doing this, and should PyArray_Check(spam) work either way?

It works either way, but I am not sure that you are supposed to rely
on that. I prefer to use a cast to array objects only *after*
verifying that I have an array object, if only for clarity.

Konrad.
Konrad Hinsen                            | E-Mail: hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr