[Numpy-discussion] Re: numpy, overflow, inf, ieee, and rich comparison

L. Busby busby at icf.llnl.gov
Wed Oct 11 14:01:40 EDT 2000

It was an optional module (fpectl) that got added into Python 1.5.
Looks like it has been carried forward pretty much unchanged into the
2.0 release candidate.  To use the facility, you need to build python
with --with-fpectl, then identify "dangerous" (likely to generate
SIGFPE) operations, and surround them with a pair of macros
PyFPE_START_PROTECT and PyFPE_END_PROTECT.  This has the effect of
turning any SIGFPE into a Python exception.  Start with
Include/pyfpe.h, look for example usage in Objects/floatobject.c.  Grep
the python source for FPE_ to find the several places where these hooks
are located.

[ Paul Dubois wrote ]