[Numpy-discussion] Da Blas

Frank Horowitz frank at ned.dem.csiro.au
Fri Sep 15 20:39:39 EDT 2000

At 11:30 AM -0400 9/15/00, Scott M. Ransom wrote:
>Frank Horowitz wrote:
>>
>> However, when I
>> coerced the distutils system to get around that bug (by specifying
>> "/usr/lib " with a trailing blank for the BLASLIBDIR and LAPACKLIBDIR
>> variables in setup.py) the same problem (i.e. an "ImportError:
>> /usr/lib/liblapack.so.3: undefined symbol: e_wsfe" in importing
>> lapack_lite) ultimately manifested itself.
>
>This problem is easily fixed (at least on linux) by performing the link
>of lapack_lite.so with g77 instead of gcc (this is required because the
>lapack and/or blas libraries are based on fortran object files...).

Good on ya, Scott. You nailed it. When I did this by hand, it worked. What
I now need to figure out is how to coerce distutils into doing that
automagically so others can benefit without this pain!

	Cheers,
		Frank Horowitz

Dr. Frank Horowitz                  __  \
CSIRO Exploration & Mining       ,~'  L_|\    Australian
39 Fairway, PO Box 437,       ;-'         \   Geodynamics
Nedlands, WA  6009  Australia (            \  Cooperative
      Phone +61 9 284 8431    +    ___     /  Research
      Fax   +61 9 389 1906     L~~'   "\__/   Centre
frank at ned.dem.csiro.au                   W