[Numpy-discussion] Numeric on OS X - Anyone get it to work ?

Konrad Hinsen hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr
Tue Apr 17 12:44:58 EDT 2001

> dyld: python multiple definitions of symbol _PyArray_API
> /usr/local/lib/python2.1/site-packages/Numeric/multiarray.so definition
> of _PyArray_API
> /usr/local/lib/python2.1/site-packages/Numeric/umath.so definition of
> _PyArray_API
>
> At this point, I get returned to the command line (python exits). It
> appears that the dynamic linker mechanism under OS X doesn't like
> symbols with the same name. Anyone have a way around this ?

You'd have to declare PyArray_API static in each module, but that
won't be easy as some modules consist of more than one C source file.

A more complicated solution would be to construct different names
for this variable in different modules using preprocessor tricks
in Numeric/arrayobject.h.

Konrad.
Konrad Hinsen                            | E-Mail: hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr