[Numpy-discussion] Numeric on OS X - Anyone get it to work ?

Johann Hibschman johann at physics.berkeley.edu
Tue Apr 17 15:44:12 EDT 2001

Paul F Dubois writes:

> On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Johann Hibschman wrote:
>>
>> All I did was insert a
>>
>> #define NO_IMPORT_ARRAY
>> before the
>> #include "arrayobject.h"
>> in umathmodule.c

> Such a change breaks other platforms...

Could you give a quick explanation why?  I thought the whole point of
the "extern" specifier was to flag that this variable was defined
elsewhere.  Otherwise, doesn't it imply that the API pointer is
defined in each file that includes arrayobject.h?

i.e. shouldn't headers declare "extern double x" for everything except
the file that actually defines x?

I should go back and read my copy of K&R...

--Johann

Johann Hibschman                           johann at physics.berkeley.edu