[Numpy-discussion] Numpy and the Pentium 4

Chris Barker chrishbarker at home.net
Mon Apr 30 12:55:10 EDT 2001

Tim Churches wrote:
>Our problem domain involves a mix of manipulating
> very large integer arrays and then floating point calculations on
> smaller arrays,  so FP speed is probably not of paramount importance,
> but memory bandwidth and clock speed probably is (perhaps, maybe,
> possibly).

Have you checked out the PPC G4 option? Apple certainly like to
advertise how fast it can be, which is ussually deceptive, but, in fact
the one place iot does shine is large integer manipulations (in the
Apple literature: "some photoshop applications"). I havn't done any
speed comparisons, but we have found it to pretty fast when using the
optimised BLAS from Absoft.

Mac OS is pretty patthetic for this kind of application but PPC linux or
OS-X should do the trick for you. IT might be worth a little
investigating.

By the way, just how much does that 400 Mhz memory cost now?

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker,
Ph.D.