[Numpy-discussion] Re: [Annouce] Numeric Python 20.0.0b2

Paul F. Dubois paul at pfdubois.com
Tue Apr 24 09:44:50 EDT 2001

Pete wrote:

wow, version 20. Numeric must be the highest version numbered project
on sourceforge :]

My philosophy is to change the major version number if you do ANYTHING that
might require changes in client code. In this case I changed things so that
if someone had their own way of building (such as a static build) they might
need to change their Makefile. I suppose I overdo it but version numbers are
free.

I had a project that used an automatic system to up the version number every
time we made a build. We got to Basis 499 but then we made the next one 5.00
and stopped that system. Basis is now at a leisurely 12.0 after 16 years.