[Numpy-discussion] one-offset arrays

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Tue Aug 28 19:38:17 EDT 2001

Eric brought up the point of one-offset arrays which can be relatively easily
created with UserArrays.

This led me to some thinking about why UserArrays are not more often used.

I think one of the biggest reasons is that most of the functions can take
UserArrays but returned the basic array type upon completion.  So, you end up
having to continually construct your UserArrays.

Are there other reasons people have thought of?

So, here's a suggestion:

Why don't we modify PyArray_Return to return an object of the same class as
one of the arguments which was passed if the class defines an __array__
method.

Which argument to pick and how this would be implemented without changing old
code is an interesting question.

Assuming it were possible to cause PyArray_Return to do such a thing, would
this be a bad idea?

Sincrely,

Tried-to-use-Matrix-objects-but-always-resort-to-dot(x,x)

Travis Oliphant