[Numpy-discussion] LinearAlgebra patch/ Athlon optimization

Rob europax at home.com
Thu Aug 30 20:23:52 EDT 2001

I'd love to have Python and Numpy optimized for the Athlon.  I will have
to wait for gcc3.0 to get absorbed into FreeBSD.  (Mandrake linux has a
beta that uses it)  It turns out that mpg encoding runs at 10x the rate
on my Athlon DDR machine compared to my laptop due to the highly Athlon
optimized "GoGo" encoding program.  Rob.

Chris Barker wrote:

> Jeff Whitaker wrote:
> > Paul's initial comment
> > was that since it was not self-contained (it required linking external
> > blas and lapack libs) he could not consider putting it in.  I have
> > rectified that now by including new versions of f2c_lite.c, blas_lite.c
> > and d(z)lapack_lite.c that support the newer, faster lapack routines.
>
> I don't know what it would take, but I would LOVE it if NumPy used a
> highly optimised BLAS wherever possible. I have no idea whether there is
> a good BLAS available for every major platform that has a licence that
> allows it to be included with NumPy, but if so, I think it should be
> included. I know this is more effor than just including a generic one,
> but having optimum performace "out of the box" would be a great thing.
>
> just my $.02, which is worth about that, as I am in littel position to
> help...
>
> -Chris
>
> --
> Christopher Barker,