[Numpy-discussion] PEP 209: Multi-dimensional Arrays

Rob W. W. Hooft rob at hooft.net
Fri Feb 16 04:18:11 EST 2001

 PB> .size (in bytes): e.g. 4, 8, etc.

 PB> How about item_size?

OK.

 >>  No, it is not what I meant. Reading your answer I'd say that I
 >> wouldn't see the need for an Array. We only need a data buffer and
 >> an ArrayView. If there are two parts of the functionality, it is
 >> much cleaner to make the cut in an orthogonal way.

 PB> I just don't see what you are getting at here!  What attributes
 PB> does your Array have, if it doesn't have a shape or type?

A piece of memory. It needs nothing more. A buffer[1]. You'd always
need an ArrayView.  The Arrayview contains information like
dimensions, strides, data type, endianness.

Making a new _view_ would consist of making a new ArrayView, and pointing
its data object to the same data array.

Making a new _copy_ would consist of making a new ArrayView, and
marking the "copy-on-write" features (however that needs to be
implemented, I have never done that. Does it involve weak