[Numpy-discussion] Curve fitting routines?

John J. Lee phrxy at csv.warwick.ac.uk
Fri Feb 16 18:16:07 EST 2001

On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, John J. Lee wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, William Ryu wrote:
>
> > Was wondering if there is a "standard" library of curve fitting routines
> > that people use with Numeric Python. I'm especially interested in high
> > order Bezier curves, but would like to save some time if someone has put
> > together a good curve fitting packaging.
>
> There are simple wrappers of minpack (which includes non-linear least
> squares) and dierckx (splines, I think) libraries in Travis Oliphant's
> Multipack.  Travis is still in the process of moving its homepage ATM I
> think, but they are available somewhere near here:
>
> cens.ioc.ee/cgi-bin/cvsweb/python/multipack/
>
> If you search back in the archives of this list, you'll find a pointer to
> instructions for how to get them with cvs.

Just occurred to me there might be drawing programs out there with bezier
fitting routines.  I'd been (probably falsely) assuming that everyone here
is doing science or engineering (come to think of it, I don't know if
there *are* any applications of bezier curves in science).

Google is very useful:

http://www.google.fr/search?q=bezier+python+fitting&hq=&hl=en&safe=off&csr=

http://sketch.sourceforge.net/devnotes.html

> Sketch 0.7.4 (December 23rd, 1999)
> [...]
> Moved more of the curve fitting code for the freehand tool to C to
> make it faster.
>
> [...]
> Sketch 0.7.3 (October 17th, 1999)
>
> A freehand tool. The implementation of the curve fitting is a bit slow
> at the moment, because much of the computation is done in Python.
> Moving more parts to C should improve performance substantially.

OTOH, perhaps you are working on this very program??

John