[Numpy-discussion] PEP 209: Multi-dimensional Arrays

Rob W. W. Hooft rob at hooft.net
Mon Feb 19 02:50:47 EST 2001

 PB> we entirely agree with the above definitions of _view_ and
 PB> _copy_.  But you haven't told us what object associates your
 PB> Array and ArrayView to make a usable array that can be sliced,
 PB> diced, and Julian fried.

Hm. You know, I am not so deep into the python internals. I am a fairly
high-level programmer. Not a CS type, but a chemist.... There might be
much of implementation detail that escapes me. But I'm just trying to keep
things beautiful (as in Erich Gamma et.al.)

I thought an ArrayView would have a pointer to the data array. Like the
either like the .data attribute in the Numeric 1 API, or as a python
object pointer.

 PB> My impression of your slice method would be:

 PB> slice(Array, ArrayView, slice expression)

If ArrayView.HasA(Array), that would not be required.

Regards,

Rob Hooft.

--
=====   rob at hooft.net          http://www.hooft.net/people/rob/  =====