[Numpy-discussion] Question: LAPACK-LITE consequences for Numpy speed (win32 platfor m)

Raymond Beausoleil beausol at hpl.hp.com
Tue Jan 2 11:57:35 EST 2001

I use Windows NT/2000 (at gunpoint), and I've gotten much better
performance than NumPy's Lite code by using the Intel MKL. I keep meaning
to post these results to an external HP Labs web page, but we're currently
engaged in an internal snit about what those pages are allowed to look like.

Essentially, with NumPy 17 and Python 1.5, I've been able to:
(1) Replace NumPy BLAS with Intel's MKL BLAS, after a number of routine
renaming edits in the NumPy code. (Apparently "cblas" is an irresistible
prefix.) This turns out to be pretty easy.
(2) Replace portions of LAPACK Lite with the corresponding routines from
Intel's MKL. I've been hacking away at this on a piecemeal basis, because
the MKL uses Fortran calling conventions and array-ordering. In most of the
MKL routines, the usual LAPACK flags for transposition are available to
compensate.
(3) Add new LAPACK functionality using LAPACK routines from the MKL that
are not included in LAPACK Lite.

I've been meaning to pick this project up again, since I want to use the
Intel FFT routines in some new code that I'm writing. The chief benefit of
the MKL libraries is the ability to easily use multiple processors and
threads simply by setting a couple of environment variables. Until recently
(when MATLAB finally started using LAPACK), I was able to gain
significantly better performance than MATLAB using the Intel BLAS/LAPACK,
even without multiple processors. Now the Intel libraries are only about
10-25% faster, if my watch can be believed. I have _no idea_ how the Intel
MKL performs relative to the native Linux BLAS/LAPACK distributions, but I
know that (for example) the MKL is about 50% faster than the linear algebra
routines shipped by NAG.

Although I haven't figured out the standard NumPy distribution process yet
(I still use that pesky Visual Studio IDE), I'll elevate the development of
a general-purpose integration of the Intel MKL into NumPy to an Official
New Year's Resolution. I made my last ONYR about ten years ago, and was
able to give up channel-surfing using the TV remote control. So, I have
demonstrated an ability to deliver in this department; the realization that
we've just started a new millennium only adds to the pressure. Presumably,
when I get this finished (I'll target the end of the month), I'll be able
to find a place to post it.

============================
Ray Beausoleil
Hewlett-Packard Laboratories