[Numpy-discussion] Re: New version of compress for you

Michael Haggerty mhagger at alum.mit.edu
Fri May 11 13:59:14 EDT 2001

Paul F. Dubois writes:
> def compress (condition, x, dimension=-1):
>     """Select those parts of x for which condition is true.
>        Masked values in condition are considered false.
>     """
>     c = filled(condition, 0)
>     m = getmask(x)
>     if m is not None:
>         m=Numeric.compress(c, m, dimension)
>     d = Numeric.compress(c, filled(x), dimension)
>     return masked_array(d, m)
>

> I did want a treatment of masked conditions. Consider:
>
> compress( x > 10, x)

I see your point, but this doesn't generalize to x having more than
one dimension.  And with my semantics, for your example (assuming
1-d), you could substitute

    compress((x > 10).filled(0), x)

which isn't very obscure.  Moreover, sometimes it is interesting to
compress an array in such a way that masked values are carried along
as masked values; this cannot be done with the existing compress().

Michael

--
Michael Haggerty
mhagger at alum.mit.edu