[Numpy-discussion] Non-numerical info associated with sub-arrays

Francesc Alted falted at openlc.org
Sat Dec 28 06:42:01 EST 2002

Mensaje citado por: Magnus Lie Hetland <magnus at hetland.org>:

> I'm working on some two-dimensional tables of data, where some data
> are numerical, while other aren't. I'd like to use numarray's
> numerical capabilities with the numerical parts (columns) while
> keeping the data in each row together. (I'm sure this generalizes to
> more dimensions, and to sub-arrays in general, not just rows.)

You may want to have a look at PyTables (http://pytables.sourceforge.net).
It's designed to be used in scenarios similar to that you are exposing.

It supports Numeric objects and although columns in tables are not
automatically converted to Numeric o numarray objects, you can build them on
the flight easily using its powerful selection capabilities.

It uses HDF5 (http://hdf.ncsa.uiuc.edu/HDF5/) format to save its data, so you
can read PyTables files in a variety of languages and platforms.

Cheers,

Francesc Alted