distutils for scientific stuff, was RE: [Numpy-discussion] RPMs out of date, have problems

Pearu Peterson pearu at cens.ioc.ee
Sun Jan 6 23:02:04 EST 2002

On Sun, 6 Jan 2002, Paul F. Dubois wrote:

> Adding Fortran support is quite a bit more difficult because the whole
> idea of distutils is to piggy-back off the Python configure, which
> doesn't configure Fortran compiler options or paths. I don't think
> distutils ought to try, really. You just compile the Fortran into a
> library and then use that in your setup.py.

Saying that "just compile the Fortran into .." sounds like a common step
for using Fortran, then I don't see why distutils shouldn't try to support
this. As Eric mentioned in the previous message, scipy_distutils already
does this step for an intermediate user. We have tested this to work for
different compilers like Gnu,Intel F90,VAST,NAG F95,Absoft,etc and it
works like a charm.

Regards,
	Pearu