[Numpy-discussion] Numarray: question on RandomArray2.seed(x=0, y=0) system clock default and possible bug

paul at pfdubois.com paul at pfdubois.com
Tue Jul 23 13:14:05 EDT 2002

RandomArray got a "special" position as part of Numeric simply by historical
accident in being there first. I think in the conversion to Numarray we
will be able to remove such things from the "core" and make more of a marketplace
of equals for the "addons". As it is now there is some implication that
somehow one is "better" than the other, which is unjustified either mathematically
or in the sense of design.

RNG's design is based on my experience with large codes needing many independent
streams. The mathematics is from a well-tested Cray algorithm. I'm sure
it could use fluffing up but a good case can be made for it.