[Numpy-discussion] RE: Python 2.2 seriously crippled for numerical computation?

Paul F Dubois paul at pfdubois.com
Sat Mar 2 07:56:15 EST 2002

I also see the underflow problem on my Linux box 2.4.2-2. This is
certainly untenable. However, I am able to catch OverflowError in both
cases. I had a user complain about this just yesterday, so I think it is
a new behavior in Python 2.2 which I was just rolling out. A small
Fortran test problem did not exhibit the underflow bug, and caught the
overflow bug at COMPILE TIME (!).

There are two states for the IEEE underflow: one in which the hardware
sets it to zero, and the other in which the hardware signals the OS and
you can tell the OS to set it to zero. There is no standard for the
interface to this facility that I am aware of. (Usually I have had to
figure out how to make sure the underflow was handled in hardware
because the sheer cost of letting it turn into a system call was
prohibitive.) I speculate that on machines where the OS call is the
default that Python 2.2 is catching the signal when it should let it go
by.

I have not looked at this lately so something may have changed.

You can use the kinds package that comes with Numeric to test
for maximum and minimum exponents. kinds.default_float_kind.MAX_10_EXP
(equal to 308 on my Linux box, for example) tells you how big an
exponent a floating point number can have. MIN_10_EXP (-307 for me) is
also there.

Work around on your convergence test: instead of testing x**2 you might
test log10(x) vs. a constant or some expression involving
kinds.default_float_kind.MIN_10_EXP.