[Numpy-discussion] rank-0 arrays

Tim Hochberg tim.hochberg at ieee.org
Fri Sep 13 14:25:14 EDT 2002

Thanks for the summary Eric.

However, I don't find this example particularly compelling. Probably because
I don't think len(b) should work if b is rank zero (or possibly return
None). Yeah, I know it's worked in NumPy for years, but that doesn't mean I
have to like it. I would favor stripping out as much of the weird special
casing of rank-0 arrays as possible in the transition to numarray.

In the particular example given below, isn't the return value meaningless if
b is rank-0. Or rather only meaningful if  "or whatever you need" happens to
be one. This all smells rather arbitrary to me. However, this isn't a
problem that I run into and I'll concede that it's possible that returning
rank[0] arrays and then treating the rank zeros arrays almost like shape
(1,) arrays most of the time may solve more problems than it causes, but I'd
be interested in seeing more realistic examples. I guess I'll go poke around
MA and see what I can see. Any other suggestions of what to look at?

-tim