[Numpy-discussion] more than 2-D numarrays in recarray?

Todd Miller jmiller at stsci.edu
Tue Feb 4 04:05:04 EST 2003

Francesc Alted wrote:

>Hi,
>
>It seems that recarray doesn't support more than 1-D numarray arrays as
>fields. Is that a fundamental limitation?

I don't think it is fundamental,  merely a question of what is needed
and works easily.  I see two problems with multi-d numarray fields, both
solvable:

1.  Multidimensional numarrays must be described in the recarray spec.

2. Either numarray or recarray must be able to handle a (slightly) more
complicated case of recomputing array strides from shape and
(bytestride,record-length).

I didn't design or implement recarray so there may be other problems as
well.

>If not, do you plan to support
>arbitrary dimensions in the future?.

I don't think it's a priority now.  What do you need them for?

>Thanks,

Regards,
Todd