[Numpy-discussion] How to compute gradients or derivatives.

Jon Saenz jsaenz at wm.lc.ehu.es
Thu Jul 24 04:52:14 EDT 2003

take a look to some parts of the code in http://www.pyclimate.org.

There are some functions to compute gradients, divergence and vertical
component of the rotational of scalar and vector fields. BUT... we only
support regular grids in a certain ordering, which is the one most used
for climate data sets. Moreover, our derivatives are computed in
spherical coordinates, like the ones used in geophysical data sets. Still,
you can use the code as a starting point to develop your own functions.

Jon Saenz.				| Tfno: +34 946012445
Depto. Fisica Aplicada II               | Fax:  +34 944648500
Facultad de Ciencias.   \\ Universidad del Pais Vasco \\
Apdo. 644   \\ 48080 - Bilbao  \\ SPAIN