[Numpy-discussion] Please help - pointer to slice

Todd Miller jmiller at stsci.edu
Sat Mar 8 04:02:01 EST 2003

Sebastian Haase wrote:

>Thanks, SO MUCH ...
>I almost went crazy yesterday - and was really desperate by the time I wrote
>that email.
>Somehow I newer needed that offset field until now.  So: when I do the
>NA_InputArray call  I get a "proper" C-array
>just that it does NOT necessarily start at  NAimg->data
>but rather at
>NAimg->data + NAimg->byteoffset

The numarray-0.4 manual (available at:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/numpy/numarray-0.4.pdf?download)
documents how to write Python stubs using the "high level" API on Page
70.  The thing you appear to be missing is a call to NA_OFFSETDATA which
gets a pointer to the data in an array by adding the buffer pointer and
byteoffset together.

Todd