[Numpy-discussion] MA does not handle NaN -- on purpose

Paul F. Dubois dubois1 at llnl.gov
Tue Nov 4 07:01:22 EST 2003

In writing MA I specifically said that I would not deal with NaN issues
because I saw no way to do so in a portable way.

If you have a disk file with arrays that contain NaN's in them, then you
can form a mask using some routine you write in C or Python, using
whatever method you believe will identify those elements correctly.
After that, MA promises never to use the NaN elements in any operations.

There is a version of MA being developed for numarray but I haven't
checked as to whether it is in the distribution yet.