[Numpy-discussion] Possible bug in scalar * array

Todd Miller jmiller at stsci.edu
Mon Oct 20 12:41:14 EDT 2003

I tracked down the problem to some (relatively) new overflow checking
code which detects the overflow of the scalar -1 as it is assigned to an
array pseudo buffer of type UInt8.  This error was mishandled, and hence
was transformed into an invalid shape tuple (you gotta smile :-)).  The
*2nd* call is where the exception shows up because of caching logic.

I talked this over with Perry and we concluded that it's probably a good
thing to trap the out of range scalar values before using them.  Thus,
we're proposing to fix the error handling,  but to make the calls in
question raise an overflow exception on the first call.  We are
interested in hearing other opinions however.  Comments?

Regards,
Todd