[Numpy-discussion] Re: sum and mean methods behaviour

Peter Verveer verveer at embl-heidelberg.de
Thu Sep 4 04:26:04 EDT 2003

Hi all,

I was thinking a bit more about the changes to reduce() that Todd proposed,
and have some questions:

The problem that the output may not be able to hold the result of an operation
is not unique to the reduce() method. For instance adding two arrays of type
UInt can also give you the wrong answer:

>>> array(255, UInt8) + array(255, UInt8)
254

So, if this is a general problem, why should only the reduce method be
enhanced to avoid this? If you implement this, should this capability not be
supported more broadly than only by reduce(), for instance by universal
functons such as 'add'? Would it not be unexpected for users that only
reduce() provides such added functionality?

However, as Paul Dubois pointed out earlier, the original design philosphy of
Numeric/numarray was to let the user deal with such problems himself and keep
the package small and fast. This seems actually a sound decision, so would it
not be better to avoid complicating numarray with these type of changes and
also leave reduce as it is?

Personally I don't have a need for the proposed changes to the reduce
function. My original complaint that started the whole discussion was that
the mean() and sum() array methods did not give the correct result in some
cases. I still think they should return a correct double precision value,
even if the universal functions may not. That could be achieved by a separate
implementation that does not use the universal functions. I would be prepared
to provide that implementation either to replace the mean and sum methods, or
as a separate add-on.

Cheers, Peter