[Numpy-discussion] numarray unfriendly to user defined types

Todd Miller jmiller at stsci.edu
Fri Sep 26 11:24:09 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-09-26 at 13:31, Colin J. Williams wrote:
> Todd,
>
> This scheme seems rather complex.  The purpose isn't clear to me.
>
> What is the problem which this arrangement is intended to solve?

Bottom line, currently:

numarray + another_class --> exception

It would be nice if:

numarray + another_class --> another_class.__radd__(numarray)

Also, look backward at Tim's original post on this subject.

> Could I suggest that some scheme along the lines of the Python PEP's be
> used to set out the Why's and Wherefore's?

Sounds good for next time.

> It might also be useful to copy this discussion to comp.lang.python as
> that newsgroup has people experienced with classes.

OK,  I'll stop being a chicken.  Everyone, get ready for the sound of a
pin dropping on c.l.py.

> The problem appears
> to be Python related rather than a problem of numerical analysis.

Yes indeed.