[Numpy-discussion] Numarrays from C arrays without copying

Todd Miller jmiller at stsci.edu
Thu Apr 22 13:07:01 EDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-22 at 14:34, Craig Rasmussen wrote:
> On Apr 22, 2004, at 10:57 AM, Todd Miller wrote:
>
> >> This is what PyArray_FromDimsAndData was for, and I believe it is
> >> fairly
> >> heavily used.
> >
> > That's good to know.  I was just discussing with Perry how to expand
> > the
> > C-API to support this stuff.  Perhaps we don't have to.
>
> So is there an equivalent NA_FromDimsAndData?

No.  I was making the mistake of thinking there needed to be.

>   I have been using
> PyArray_FromDimsAndData.

That's fine and should basically work.

Between numarray and Numeric there is currently the not-so-subtle
difference that numarray copies the external data buffer and Numeric
just refers to it.

This is a documented difference,  but my vote is for changing in favor
of better functionality and Numeric compatibility.  I'll probably just
quietly change it unless there is a deluge of dissenters...

--
Todd Miller <jmiller at stsci.edu>