[Numpy-discussion] Pure Python NumPy-like module?

Tim Hochberg tim.hochberg at cox.net
Wed Aug 11 11:52:02 EDT 2004

Chris Barker wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I've got a project that uses Numeric arrays a fair bit. Unfortunately,
> I have a fair number of users that would like to be able to use it
> without Numeric (frankly I don't get it. It's a wxPython widget, and
> once you've installed wxPython, Numeric should not be a show stopper,
> but whatever). I though one way to accommodate this was to create a
> pure python Numeric-lite package, that contained the functionality
> need for my app, and was written in pure python. A side benefit of
> this is that it would be an easy way to see how much a performance
> gain Numeric gives me. Frankly, I don't really care that much, I like
> using Numeric operations for the syntactical advantages, aside from
> performance issues.
>
> Anyway, I recall a while back a couple folks did some testing with
> Psyco and a pure-python implementation of a small fraction of Numeric
> functionality. I'd love to see that code if it's still around. Or if
> any of you has done something similar, I'd love to see that too.

Hi Chris,

That was probably me. Your message prompted me to take a look at that
code for the first time in a long time and it is indeed a *small*
fraction of Numeric functionality.  That being said your welcome to try
and do something useful with it. I'll go ahead and send you the file in
private email to avoid cluttering the list.

If anyone else wants a copy let me know.

-tim