[Numpy-discussion] Re: Numpy-discussion digest, Vol 1 #808 - 2 msgs

Paul Magwene p.magwene at snet.net
Tue Jan 20 05:59:01 EST 2004

> --__--__--
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 14:32:51 -0600
> From: Travis Oliphant <oliphant at ee.byu.edu>
> To:  numpy-discussion at lists.sourceforge.net,  python-list at python.org
> Subject: [Numpy-discussion] Status of Numeric
>

> The purpose of this email is to assess the attitude of the community
> regarding how these changes to Numeric should be accomplished.
>
> These are the two options we can see:
> * freeze old Numeric 23.x  and make all changes to Numeric 24.x  still
> keeping Numeric separate from  SciPy
> * freeze old Numeric 23.x and subsume Numeric into SciPy essentially
> creating a new SciPy arrayobject that is fast and lightweight.  Anybody
> wanting this new array object would get it by installing scipy_base.
> Numeric would never change in the future but the array in scipy_base would.

My preference would be for option #1 -- continue further development of
Numeric as a separate package with new improvements going into the 24.x
series.  It's my experience that when projects get subsumed, additional
requirements tend to creep in, even if they're not actually "required."

--Paul Magwene