[Numpy-discussion] re: Status of Numeric (and plotting in particular)

Jon Peirce jwp at psychology.nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Jan 21 11:10:04 EST 2004

>We have started on this over the past month, and hope to have some
>simple
>functionality available within a month (though when we make it public
>may
>take a bit longer). It will be open source and we hope significantly
>simpler
>than chaco. It will not focus on speed (well, we want fairly fast
>display times
>for plots of a reasonable number of points, but we don't need video
>refresh
>rates). If your interest in plotting matches ours, then this may be for
>you.
>We will welcome contributions and comments once we get it off the
>ground.
>(We are calling it pyxis by the way).

I agree with the sentiment that chaco is a very heavy and confusing
package for the average scientist (but maybe great for the full-time
programmer) but I'm really concerned about the idea that we need
*another* solution started from scratch. There are already so many
including scipy.gplt, scipy.plt, dislin, biggles, pychart, piddle,
pgplot, pyx (new)...

In particular MatPlotLib looks promising - check out its examples:
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html
*Many* plotting types already , simple syntax, a few different backends.
And already has something of a following.

So is it really not possible for STScI to push its resources into aiding
the development of something that's already begun? Would be great if we
could develop a single package really well rather than everyone making
their own.

--

Jon Peirce
Nottingham University