[Numpy-discussion] More on transitioning to Numarray

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Thu Jan 22 19:33:01 EST 2004

Today, I realized that I needed to restate what my intention in raising
the subject to begin with was.

First of all, I would like to see everybody transition to Numarray
someday.  On the other hand, I'm not willing to ignore performance
issues just to reach that desireable goal.

I would like to recast my proposal into the framework of helping SciPy
transition to Numarray.  Basically, I don't think Numarray will be ready
to fully support SciPy in less than a year (basically because it
probably won't happen until some of us SciPy folks do a bit more work
with Numarray).   To help that along I am proposing making a few changes
to the Numeric object that SciPy uses so that the array object SciPy
expects starts looking more and more like the Numarray object.

We have wanted to do this in SciPy and were simply wondering if it would
make sense to change the Numeric object or to grab the Numeric code base
into SciPy and make changes there.   The feedback from the community has
convinced me personally that we should leave Numeric alone and make any
changes to something we create inside of SciPy.

There is a lot of concern over having multiple implementations of nd
arrays due to potential splitting of tools, etc.  But,  I should think
that  tools should be  coded to an interface (API, methods, data
structures) instead of a signle implementation, so that the actual
underlying object should not matter greatly.   I thought that was the
point of modular development and object-orientedness ....  Anyone doing
coding with numeric arrays already has to distinguish between: Python
Imaging Objects, Lists of lists, and other array-like objects.

I think it is pretty clear that Numeric won't be changing.  Thus,
anything we do with the Numeric object will be done from the framework
of SciPy.

Best regards.

Travis O.