[Numpy-discussion] Writing arrays to files.

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Tue Jan 27 10:45:56 EST 2004

    Andrea> Hi, I need a little help here. I need to write some
    Andrea> Numeric arrays (coming from some simulations) to ASCII
    Andrea> files. I'm sure it's a well known topic and I'd be happy
    Andrea> not to have to reinvent the wheel. I've both 1-dim and
    Andrea> 2-dim arrays and I'd like to get something like this:

    Andrea> - 1-dim array ASCII file:

    Andrea> 0.1 0.2 0.3 etc...

If your array is not monstrously large, and you can do it all in
memory, do

  fh = file('somefile.dat', 'w')
  s = ' '.join([str(val) for val in a])
  fh.write(s)

where a is your 1D array

    Andrea> - 2-dim array ASCII file:

    Andrea> 0.1 0.2 0.3 0.4 0.5 0.6 etc....

    Andrea> How can I get them?

Same idea

  fh = file('somefile.dat', 'w')
  for row in a:
      s = ' '.join([str(val) for val in row])
      fh.write('%s\n' % s)

where a is your 2D array

The scipy module also has support for reading and writing ASCII files.

Note if you are concerned about efficiency and are willing to use
binary files, use the fromstring and tostring methods.

JDH