[Numpy-discussion] re: Status of Numeric (and plotting in particular)

Magnus Lie Hetland magnus at hetland.org
Wed Jan 21 12:53:06 EST 2004

Perry Greenfield <perry at stsci.edu>:

> Jon Peirce writes:
> >
> > I agree with the sentiment that chaco is a very heavy and confusing
> > package for the average scientist (but maybe great for the full-time
> > programmer) but I'm really concerned about the idea that we need
> > *another* solution started from scratch. There are already so many
> > including scipy.gplt, scipy.plt, dislin, biggles, pychart, piddle,
> > pgplot, pyx (new)...
> >
> We had looked all of these and each had fallen short in some major
> way (though I thought piddle had much promise and perhaps could be
> built on; however it was intended as a back end only.)

Wohoo! Piddle lives ;)

I think I'd be interested in resuming some of my earlier work on
Piddle if it is ever used for something useful -- such as a proper
plotting tool. (I was actually just thinking about wrapping PyX in the
Piddle interface to make TeX typesetting available in Piddle.)

[snip about mathplotlib]

Hm. Maybe a Piddle back-end could be written for it (which would
instantly give it lots of extra back-ends)...? Two birds with one
stone and all that...

- M

--
Magnus Lie Hetland           "The mind is not a vessel to be filled,
http://hetland.org            but a fire to be lighted."  [Plutarch]