[Numpy-discussion] How fast are small arrays currently?

Todd Miller jmiller at stsci.edu
Wed Jan 21 13:21:05 EST 2004

> > Why are numarrays so slow to create?

There are several portable ways to create numarrays (array(), arange(),
zeros(), ones()) and I'm not really sure which one to address, so I
poked around some.

I discovered that numarray-0.8 has a problem with array() which causes
very poor performance (~30x slower than Numeric) for arrays created from
a sequence.  The problem is with a private Python function,
_all_arrays(), that scans the sequence to see if it consists only of
arrays;  _all_arrays() works badly for the ordinary case of a sequence
of numbers.  This is fixed now in CVS.

Beyond this flaw in array(),  it's a mixed bag,  with numarray tending
to do well with large arrays and certain use cases, and Numeric doing
well with small arrays and other use cases.

Todd